Teenagers/Adolescence is a transition period between childhood and adulthood. Any period of transition is like to be associated with a number of issues and problems.
Challenges for Teenagers or Common problem of Adolescence
Following are the different issues and problems of Adolescence or teenagers are :
1. Coping up with Stress: Teenagers or adolescents feel stressed when they feel like the demands or pressure on them are more than what they cope with. They may feel under pressure, worried, tense, upset, sad and angry or maybe a mixture of uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes can get too much stress can even trigger a mental illness.
Some of the reasons to feel stress are-
- The pressure of school work
- Preparing for examination
- Being teased or bullied at school
- Arguing with parents and other members
2. Teenage social Problems: Teenagers or Adolescence is a period of “Stress and Storm” at this age they have lots of energy to explore new things. They face some common social problems are-
- Act and live according to social values: home , society, school
- Not willing to obey –out dated
- Fear of being judge
- Refusing to take part in social activities
- Cyberbullying including cruel text, posting image or text on social media
- Peer Pressure
- Drug Abuse
3. School or Study Problems: School constitutes a large part of an adolescent’s existence. Difficulties in almost any area of life often manifest as a school problem. Particularly school problems include
- Fear of going to School
- Absenteeism without permission
- Dropping out
- Academic poor performance
4. Body Image problem faced by teenagers: Body image is how you view your physical self-including whether you feel you are attractive and whether others like your looks. For many peoples especially teenagers body image can be closely linked to self-esteem. Some of the body image problems faced by teenagers are-
- Body changes during puberty
- Compare with others peers
- Compare themselves with celebrities
- Negative comments and hurtful teasing about the way they look from classmate and peers
5. Teenage problems with parents: There is a family conflict between teenagers and parents. Some of the common problems faced by teenagers are-
- Generation gap between the parents and children cause serious problems of adjustment
- Adolescence seeks greater independence( Social and Economic)
- Social Taboos and moral code
- Pressurised on study for better grade
- Separation-cause disagreement over time with peers versus time with family
- Living on parental Terms and Condition
6. Teenage Pregnancy: During the teenage age they develop secondary sexual organs that give rise to new feelings in teenagers and push them to experiment with their body. Some of the problems are-
- Without proper knowledge of appropriate use of contraceptive pills or guidance, teenagers may become sexually active this could result in unwanted pregnancy. Unwanted pregnancy is the biggest risk that teenagers or adolescence girls face
- Unprotected sex can also lead to sexually transmitted disease
7. Adolescent Behaviour Problem: Some of the common teenage behaviour problems are
- The raging hormones in teenage boys give more strength inside the body to do new things this can even push to get into physical confrontations. At this age they wanted to listen loud music
- Adolescence is the period when children wanted to be independence. This can give rise to questioning the parents terms and conditions and standing up for what they believe is right
- Significant developmental changes in the brain makes teen moody, tired and difficult to deal with.
- The most troubling behaviour is perhaps teens hanging out with problem children and adopting to dangerous lifestyle
- Sometimes peer pressure make certain bad habits that’s are hard to break
8. Teenage Health issue: Teenagers are very vulnerable emotionally and physically. Without proper healthcare and nutrition are lead to falling ill. Some of the common teenager’s health problems are-
- Teenagers have very hectic schedule in school from one activity to another, they have very little time to rest or eat. Un-healthy eating habits resist them from getting proper nutrition.
- In this period they are conscious about their body can lead to eating disorder, especially in girls sudden increase of weight during adolescence they start dieting to maintain their appearance this lead to serious health problem .
- Stress can also lead to loss appetite
- Un-Healthy eating habits and less active life lifestyle could also lead to obesity
9. Teenage Emotional Problems: Hormones changes inside the body during adolescence affects physically as well as emotionally.
- Mood swings are common among teenage boys and girls
- Gender roles in some family may affects emotionally
- Teenage girls are more vulnerable to cry
- Feelings of inferiority or superiority
- Teenagers is the age when sexual feelings arise .Feelings and thoughts about sex can trigger a sense of guilt
10. Teenage Anger Issue: Teenagers is a challenging time for both them and their parents. At this stage, they are moody, reckless and unpredictable. Teenagers with a serious anger issue is consumed with anger they have very little control over their anger. One of the common triggers of severe anger in teens is
- Low self-esteem
- Negative peer pressure
- Conflicts with family
- Breakup with love one
- Substance use
11. Gender-related problems in adolescence: Gender-related issues are more commonly seen in rural areas. Many health behaviours acquired during adolescence are influenced by gender norms and beliefs these impact both boys and girls.
The consequences for girls include child marriage, lack of proper education, child health, poor nutrition, depression and anxiety.
Boys also have consequences such as engaging in higher rates of physical violence, higher risk of substance abuse and suicide, the greater number of deaths from unintentional injuries, and as adults, shorter life expectancies than women
12. Physical Changes: Physical changes happen during adolescence due to changes in hormone levels. Some of the common problems face by adolescence are-
- Development of full breasts in girls can be awkward in the beginning, girls may start feel conscious about their figure.
- Acne is one of the major problems
- Changes of voice and appearance of facial hairs in boys is perhaps the most prominent change takes place during adolescence
- The growth of pubic hairs in girls and boys
- Girls start their periods
12. Peer Pressure: During adolescence, peer pressure is common both positive and negative peer pressure. Negative peer pressure can lead to serious problems. The influence of peer pressure during adolescence is-
- Pressure to use alcohol, cigarette, drugs etc.
- Pressure to engage in risk taking behaviour
- Distraction from school work
- Drastic changes in behaviour and attitudes.
Conclusion: We can conclude from the above discussion, adolescence is a very tough time coping-up with stress. Stanley Hall called this period “Stress and Storm”. The best way to help adolescence to get through the stage is to make them, aware of these hormonal changes. Enable them to stay healthy and fit through nutritious food and exercise. Teachers should use their excessive energy in educational and other creative activities. Lastly, the roles of teachers and parents and Schools play a crucial role in Adolescence development